Introduction to Free Motion Stitching
Instructor: Angie Knowles
Date: January 19, 2020
Location: Indian Rocks Beach Art Center
Class size: 15
Free motion stitching/quilting: stitching without the aid of the feed dogs.
Free motion stitching can be scary! How do you get started? What if you mess up your beautiful quilt?
In this basic class you will learn to get over your fear of free motion stitching. I will take you through a
series of exercises designed to help:
• get you started when you don't know what to do
• you to control your speed to produce to results you desire
• choose an appropriate stitching design for your quilt
• build your confidence and learn to enjoy free motion stitching
Supplies you need to bring:
• sewing machine (make sure machine is clean, oiled and in good working order)
• sewing machine manual
• free motion sewing machine foot
• extra sewing machine needles
• extra bobbins (pre-wind 3-4 bobbins)
• extension cord
• thread (black and white thread are a good choice)
• 8-10 quilt sandwiches- face fabric, batting and backing (at least 12-18 inches. A solid color
fabric is preferred.
This is a skill building class. You will not be stitching on a ready to quilt piece, but will be making
samples designed to improve your free motion skills.
© Tampabay Surface Design Guild 2010-2017